support for atmega328PB?

Britton Kerin
I notice this one doesn't show up all in include/avr :(

It seems like it's just 328P with an extra serial port, i2c, SPI, some
more PWM channels and QTouch.  If I recall correctly some of the
recent microchip offerings (mega-0 or something) weren't supported yet
by gcc, but it seems like this one could be.  Is there any chance of
adding support for it?

Thanks,
Britton

Re: support for atmega328PB?

Joerg Wunsch
As Britton Kerin wrote:

> I notice this one doesn't show up all in include/avr :(

I'm not sure, perhaps there's already a bug/patch for it?

I started catching up with my AVR stuff. First was AVaRICE (because it
did not even compile anymore with recent compilers, for a bug that had
been fixed years ago). Next will be AVRDUDE, then avr-libc.

> It seems like it's just 328P with an extra serial port, i2c, SPI, some
> more PWM channels and QTouch.

Another option is to compare existing header files against what
Microchip delivers in their device packs. I'm not sure whether they
still use the same old avr-libc copyright header. If so, we could
integrate it directly, but even if they changed it to something else,
it might be easy enough top copy, paste & tune our header file from
328P.

There are probably a number of #ifdefs in surrounding header files
where the new device needs to be added then.

--
cheers, Joerg               .-.-.   --... ...--   -.. .  DL8DTL

http://www.sax.de/~joerg/

Re: support for atmega328PB?

Britton Kerin
On Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 12:42 PM Joerg Wunsch <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As Britton Kerin wrote:
>
> > I notice this one doesn't show up all in include/avr :(
>
> I'm not sure, perhaps there's already a bug/patch for it?
>
> I started catching up with my AVR stuff. First was AVaRICE (because it
> did not even compile anymore with recent compilers, for a bug that had
> been fixed years ago). Next will be AVRDUDE, then avr-libc.

This is  terrific news :)

> > It seems like it's just 328P with an extra serial port, i2c, SPI, some
> > more PWM channels and QTouch.
>
> Another option is to compare existing header files against what
> Microchip delivers in their device packs. I'm not sure whether they
> still use the same old avr-libc copyright header. If so, we could
> integrate it directly, but even if they changed it to something else,
> it might be easy enough top copy, paste & tune our header file from
> 328P.
>
> There are probably a number of #ifdefs in surrounding header files
> where the new device needs to be added then.

I've never looked at device packs, but if there's something you think
I could usefully help with on this effort let me know.

Britton

Re: support for atmega328PB?

Joerg Wunsch
As Britton Kerin wrote:

> I've never looked at device packs, but if there's something you think
> I could usefully help with on this effort let me know.

Well, you could always give that a try, and see what they are doing
inside.
--
cheers, Joerg               .-.-.   --... ...--   -.. .  DL8DTL

http://www.sax.de/~joerg/