simple Q: looking for avrdude.exe like 5.2 for win-XP

simple Q: looking for avrdude.exe like 5.2 for win-XP

georg chambert
Hi !
Im a bit ... well uneasy; I have a winAVR installation, with avrdude 5.1, well working but not supporting usbasp

I just want that in, and dont want to go through all trouble of going from source to exe, just want to change the .exe
(if that now is possible) I dont also have cygwin, but minGW, so I dont want to go into changing that (tested ./configure ;but didnt work...)

pls if someone has a good idea

Georg

Re: simple Q: looking for avrdude.exe like 5.2 for win-XP

Xiaofan Chen
On Sun, Jan 15, 2017 at 8:51 PM, georg chambert
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi !
> Im a bit ... well uneasy; I have a winAVR installation, with avrdude 5.1,
> well working but not supporting usbasp
>
> I just want that in, and dont want to go through all trouble of going from
> source to exe, just want to change the .exe
> (if that now is possible) I dont also have cygwin, but minGW, so I dont want
> to go into changing that (tested ./configure ;but didnt work...)
>
> pls if someone has a good idea

It is now easy to get avrdude binay using MSYS2 since they provide a
package for avrdude and you can use pacman to get avrdude binary
package (32bit or 64bit).

Ref:
http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/avrdude-dev/2017-01/msg00000.html

The current binary you can get from MSYS2 is version 6.3 of avrdude
which should be good for you.

--
Xiaofan

On Sun, Jan 15, 2017 at 8:56 PM, Xiaofan Chen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 15, 2017 at 8:51 PM, georg chambert
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi !
>> Im a bit ... well uneasy; I have a winAVR installation, with avrdude 5.1,
>> well working but not supporting usbasp
>>
>> I just want that in, and dont want to go through all trouble of going from
>> source to exe, just want to change the .exe
>> (if that now is possible) I dont also have cygwin, but minGW, so I dont want
>> to go into changing that (tested ./configure ;but didnt work...)
>>
>> pls if someone has a good idea
>
> It is now easy to get avrdude binay using MSYS2 since they provide a
> package for avrdude and you can use pacman to get avrdude binary
> package (32bit or 64bit).
>
> Ref:
> http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/avrdude-dev/2017-01/msg00000.html
>
> The current binary you can get from MSYS2 is version 6.3 of avrdude
> which should be good for you.

Ref:
https://www.pololu.com/docs/0J67/5.5

The above link mentions MSYS2 as well. It also mentions that Arduino
also has avrdude binary. You can check that as well.

--
Xiaofan

Re: simple Q: looking for avrdude.exe like 5.2 for win-XP

georg chambert
Hi again,
well thats another build suggestion. it says "its not rocket science to
build" but it is, when you are
not into all directories, all setups to get things  in the right place,
pieces n libs all over, and you dont want to destroy
what you have going alread, and when this  is just a thing you need, but
dont want to spend time on this sidetrack.
You know Murphy, all the simplest things go wrong. and then you are in the
desert.
so tnx, but still; is there  a plain.exe

/georg

> On Sun, Jan 15, 2017 at 8:56 PM, Xiaofan Chen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Sun, Jan 15, 2017 at 8:51 PM, georg chambert
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi !
>>> Im a bit ... well uneasy; I have a winAVR installation, with avrdude
>>> 5.1,
>>> well working but not supporting usbasp
>>>
>>> I just want that in, and dont want to go through all trouble of going
>>> from
>>> source to exe, just want to change the .exe
>>> (if that now is possible) I dont also have cygwin, but minGW, so I dont
>>> want
>>> to go into changing that (tested ./configure ;but didnt work...)
>>>
>>> pls if someone has a good idea
>>
>> It is now easy to get avrdude binay using MSYS2 since they provide a
>> package for avrdude and you can use pacman to get avrdude binary
>> package (32bit or 64bit).
>>
>> Ref:
>> http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/avrdude-dev/2017-01/msg00000.html
>>
>> The current binary you can get from MSYS2 is version 6.3 of avrdude
>> which should be good for you.
>
> Ref:
> https://www.pololu.com/docs/0J67/5.5
>
> The above link mentions MSYS2 as well. It also mentions that Arduino
> also has avrdude binary. You can check that as well.
>
> --
> Xiaofan

Re: simple Q: looking for avrdude.exe like 5.2 for win-XP

Stuart Longland
On 15/01/17 23:27, georg chambert wrote:
> well thats another build suggestion. it says "its not rocket science to
> build" but it is, when you are
> not into all directories, all setups to get things  in the right place,
> pieces n libs all over, and you dont want to destroy
> what you have going alread, and when this  is just a thing you need, but
> dont want to spend time on this sidetrack.

I just had a look at the instructions here:

http://www.nongnu.org/avrdude/user-manual/avrdude_19.html

It is almost copy-paste.  The `set PREFIX=<your install directory path>`
is possibly the only tricky bit.  Cygwin represents the Windows drive
letters as virtual mount points under /cygdrive, and you'll need to
quote paths with spaces, so if you made the common mistake of using
spaces in a path name, that command will look something like:

$ set PREFIX="/cygdrive/c/Program Files/WinAVR"
… followed by the rest.

It is messier on Windows than on Linux or Unix, but you can blame
Microsoft for that, to me though, that is far from rocket science.

If you find it rocket science, I would seriously reconsider
microcontroller development in general, where things get a lot messier
than this.  (Think building gcc/binutils, C library, getting the C++
compiler to build…, then building your code with gcc)

Seriously, if in doubt, take a back-up of your existing installation,
then give it a try, taking good notes as you do so.

Then you can roll back if needed, and we can help you if you get stuck.

> You know Murphy, all the simplest things go wrong. and then you are in
> the desert.
> so tnx, but still; is there  a plain.exe

If you want to put utter blind faith in a precompiled binary… the Google
search query "avrdude Windows binary" came up with this as the second hit:

https://m8051.blogspot.com.au/2015/01/avrdude-on-windows-long-time-after.html

Scroll down, and the page gives a Google Drive link to someone's
compiled binary.  I have no idea whether it is newer or older than
what's in WinAVR.  Nor do I have any idea as to the reliability or
trustworthyness of the binary.

Downloading random files (especially binaries) from an untrusted source
is a well trodden path to malware infection on most platforms,
particularly Windows, thus one should only consider this as an absolute
last resort.
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...