Summary: ./configure does not accept --target
Project: AVR C Runtime Library
Submitted by: rolf_ebert
Submitted on: Mi 08 Feb 2012 17:14:26 MET
Category: Build Infrastructure
Severity: 3 - Normal
Priority: 5 - Normal
Item Group: Build system
Percent Complete: 0%
Assigned to: None
Discussion Lock: Any
Fixed Release: None
I didn't build avr-libc so I don't know when this (mis)feature appeared...
The top level configure script requires to spell out --host=avr. IMHO this is
unfortunate for several reasons:
1) the product is called avr-libc. I wouldn't expect it to provide anything
else (e.g. a libc for ARM) than a libc for avr. Nevertheless you have to type
that option altough the only permitted value is 'avr*'
2) It is a library for my 'target', not for my 'host'. The hosting machine
typically is a Linux or Windows PC. That's why I stumbled over this issue in
the first place. I naivly tried "./configure --target=avr" as for binutils and
gcc and it failed. (I can vaguely imagine a logic why it is called host, but
that's very counterintuitive!)
3) I had a third reason when I opened the issue but I don't remember
I propose to accept --target= as an equivalent to --host in the first step,
correct the build instructions and then to deprecate --host as a target
indicator (it might still be useful for an alternative name of --build in case
config.guess fails to correctly detect the hosting machine)
All that stuff still originates from Ted Roth's initial work on the
autoconf setup (back in 2004, the first revision appeared on branch
"autoconf-branch", it's r498 now after the migration to SVN).
Frankly, I've got no idea why he required this scheme, but I'm pretty
sure he's got a reason by that time. ;-)
If someone could come up with a better implementation that produces
similar results, I'm all ears.
you're misreading the targets, and your subsequent characterization of them is
wrong. windows is *not* executing avr-libc, nor is avr-libc producing code.
hence your your --host=windows & --target=avr-libc are incorrect.
> BTW: while at it: the configure script also don't accept the target as a
TRIPLET. That is: configure will fail when the target is specified as
exactly: libc's do not generate code. which is why --target isn't supported.