avrdude and ponyprog serial?

Michael Holzt-3
It appears that avrdude does not support the serial ponyprog programmer.
Right or wrong?

Regards
Michael

--
      It's an insane world, but i'm proud to be a part of it. -- Bill Hicks

Re: avrdude and ponyprog serial?

E. Weddington
Michael Holzt wrote:

>It appears that avrdude does not support the serial ponyprog programmer.
>Right or wrong?

The *serial* one it looks like, no, it does not support it.

The avrdude configuration file only has a parallel programmer called the
"Pony Prog STK200".

Volunteers are always welcome to add support for it.

Eric

Re: avrdude and ponyprog serial?

Joerg Wunsch
As E. Weddington wrote:

> >It appears that avrdude does not support the serial ponyprog
> >programmer.  Right or wrong?

> The *serial* one it looks like, no, it does not support it.

Isn't that the -dasa option from UISP?  That's about the only
remaining feature of UISP that has not been integrated into AVRDUDE.

> Volunteers are always welcome to add support for it.

Agreed.

--
cheers, J"org               .-.-.   --... ...--   -.. .  DL8DTL

http://www.sax.de/~joerg/                        NIC: JW11-RIPE

Re: avrdude and ponyprog serial?

Michael Holzt-3
> > The *serial* one it looks like, no, it does not support it.
> Isn't that the -dasa option from UISP?

No, the ponyprog layout is '-dasa2'.

> That's about the only remaining feature of UISP that has not
> been integrated into AVRDUDE.

Now it is. See my patch for avrdude-4.4.0 at my Webseite. The URL
is http://kju.de/misc/serbb.diff. The code can probably be combined
with par.c, but works for now. Example:

$ avrdude -p atmega16 -P /dev/ttyS0 -c ponyser -U flash:w:main.hex
avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions
[...]
avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e9403
[...]
avrdude: 160 bytes of flash written
[...]
avrdude: 160 bytes of flash verified
[...]
avrdude done.  Thank you.

Regards
Michael

--
      It's an insane world, but i'm proud to be a part of it. -- Bill Hicks

Re: avrdude and ponyprog serial?

Brian Dean
On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 02:24:44AM +0200, Michael Holzt wrote:

> Now it is. See my patch for avrdude-4.4.0 at my Webseite. The URL
> is http://kju.de/misc/serbb.diff. The code can probably be combined
> with par.c, but works for now. Example:

Excellent - this is great!  Fortunately, it also applies cleanly
against the latest CVS.

But unfortunately I have no way to test it since I don't have one of
those programmers.  If I can get a second confirmation that the code
works as advertised, I'm happy to commit this support.

Anyone?

-Brian
--
Brian Dean
ATmega128 based MAVRIC controllers

As Brian Dean wrote:

> But unfortunately I have no way to test it since I don't have one of
> those programmers.  If I can get a second confirmation that the code
> works as advertised, I'm happy to commit this support.

Should be trivial to build:

http://www.lancos.com/siprogsch.html

--
cheers, J"org               .-.-.   --... ...--   -.. .  DL8DTL

http://www.sax.de/~joerg/                        NIC: JW11-RIPE

Re: avrdude and ponyprog serial?

Michael Holzt-3
> Should be trivial to build:
> http://www.lancos.com/siprogsch.html

A even more simple design: http://www.olimex.com/dev/images/avr-pg1b-sch.gif

However before doing more tests and incorporating my patch into avrdude,
give me some more time. I'm currently working on integration of my code into
par.c (which should probably be renamed to bitbang.c or something like
this), because in the ende both drivers are doing the same - bit banging.
The only difference is the port accessed.

Some small changes to the logic of par.c are also needed, which might break
the support for parallel devices, but i doubt that. I will announce the new
patch when it is finished (probably later today).

Regards
Michael

As Michael Holzt wrote:

> A even more simple design:
> http://www.olimex.com/dev/images/avr-pg1b-sch.gif

I might give that a try.

> I'm currently working on integration of my code into par.c (which
> should probably be renamed to bitbang.c or something like this),
> because in the ende both drivers are doing the same - bit banging.

Well, renaming files in CVS is awkward, we'd lose the file's history.
Changing the comment on top might suffice.

However, just keep in mind that Win32 requires a completely different
serial handling than Posix.  For the standard serially-attached
programmers (like the STK500), this has been encapsulated in two
different source files.  It wouldn't be nice to `poison' par.c with
Posix-only source code.

IMHO it would be wise to break out the actual serial device handling
into separate files again, one for Posix, one for Win32.  Unless
someone promises to hack the Win32 part really soon now, it also needs
to be #ifdef'ed so Win32 builds can be done without the serbb code.
(Perhaps it would be overall a good idea to have the various
programming adapters configurable at configure time.)

I'm anything else but a Win32 expert :), a quick glance at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/devio/base/communications_functions.asp
suggests that a Win32 implementation would probably use the
SetCommState() and GetCommModemStatus() calls.  SetCommState() is
already used in ser_win32.c, so perhaps the ser_*.c modules could just
be extended for the serbb code.

Joerg Wunsch wrote:

>SetCommState() is
>already used in ser_win32.c, so perhaps the ser_*.c modules could just
>be extended for the serbb code.

I would recommend doing that as well.

Eric