XMEGA32A4U not supported?

Axelrod, Benjamin
I would like to use avrdude with an XMEGA32A4U chip, however, the A4U parts don't appear to be supported.  I can specify the device as ATXMEGA32A4 (without the "U") and it seems to work fine.  But I am wondering what the differences may be.
Thanks,
Ben

Ben Axelrod
Sr. Robotics Software Engineer
iRobot Corporation
8 Crosby Drive, M/S 8-1
Bedford, MA 01730
(781) 430-3315
[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>

Re: XMEGA32A4U not supported?

Daniel Rozsnyó
Considering AVRDUDE, no difference. The part has even the same chip ID.
Why is that possible??

But myself I found it hard to program any USB functionality without the
proper register define / header files.

I had to manually insert two USB interrupt handlers to have a stable system.

If you get to some knowhow or a support will be made, let me know..  I
did based a project on that chip (without verifying the avr-libc support
for it), so I am stuck at x32A4 compatibility level.

Daniel

On 05/15/2013 05:50 PM, Axelrod, Benjamin wrote:

> I would like to use avrdude with an XMEGA32A4U chip, however, the A4U parts don't appear to be supported.  I can specify the device as ATXMEGA32A4 (without the "U") and it seems to work fine.  But I am wondering what the differences may be.
> Thanks,
> Ben
>
> Ben Axelrod
> Sr. Robotics Software Engineer
> iRobot Corporation
> 8 Crosby Drive, M/S 8-1
> Bedford, MA 01730
> (781) 430-3315
> [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>

Re: XMEGA32A4U not supported?

Kirill Levchenko
I believe these (and the A3Us) use a slightly updated JTAG ICE protocol, which avrdude does not currently support. I had promised Joerg Wunsch to send him some traces from Atmel Studio programming these new chips, but haven't gotten around to it. If you have the capability to program these with Atmel Studio and get USB traces, these may be useful to Jeorg to add support for these.

There is also another way, using DFU functionality. There is an experimental patch to do this:

https://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?7896

But this also needs testing.

Kirill

On May 15, 2013, at 8:50 AM, Axelrod, Benjamin wrote:

> I would like to use avrdude with an XMEGA32A4U chip, however, the A4U parts don't appear to be supported.  I can specify the device as ATXMEGA32A4 (without the "U") and it seems to work fine.  But I am wondering what the differences may be.
> Thanks,
> Ben
>
> Ben Axelrod
> Sr. Robotics Software Engineer
> iRobot Corporation
> 8 Crosby Drive, M/S 8-1
> Bedford, MA 01730
> (781) 430-3315
> [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>

Re: XMEGA32A4U not supported?

Axelrod, Benjamin
Interesting.  I can potentially program a XMEGA32A4U from Atmel Studio 6.1 with both an AVRISP mark 2 and AVR JTAGICE3.  However, I recently noticed that Atmel Studio doesn't have support for fuse0 on the XMEGA32A4U part, which is part of my reasons for looking into this.  The other issue is that my windows box is on a virtual machine which I believe is preventing me from updating the firmware on my AVR JTAGICE3, and thus preventing me from actually using it with Atmel Studio.

(I am currently talking with our Atmel contact about the fuse issue.  No word back yet).
-Ben