Signed dummy kext for AtmelICE for MacOS X High Sierra

Signed dummy kext for AtmelICE for MacOS X High Sierra

Nick Sayer
The AtmelICE, unfortunately, presents itself to the host as a HID device. That means that unless steps are taken, it’s not possible to use avrdude on MacOS X to talk to it through libusb because the HID stack claims the device.

The workaround up to now has been a dummy kext, but High Sierra has closed off all of the avenues to use unsigned kexts - even those that don’t actually have any code.

So I ponied up for a year of the Apple dev program and asked Apple for the ability to sign kexts, which they graciously have allowed. And thus, voila, I’ve made a signed dummy kext for the AtmelICE.

More details over at the Atmel community forums: http://www.avrfreaks.net/forum/atmelice-signed-dummy-kext-macos-x-high-sierra

Re: Signed dummy kext for AtmelICE for MacOS X High Sierra

Rainer Müller
On 2017-11-02 02:10, Nick Sayer wrote:
> The AtmelICE, unfortunately, presents itself to the host as a HID device. That means that unless steps are taken, it’s not possible to use avrdude on MacOS X to talk to it through libusb because the HID stack claims the device.

Kind of related to this, the unreleased development version of avrdude
in the Subversion repository supports linking with hidapi [1].
By accessing the programmer as a HID device instead of using libusb, no
special system configuration or kernel extensions are required.

There was an announcement by Joerg on this list:
http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/avrdude-dev/2016-02/msg00030.html

I compiled the development version of avrdude myself, linked against
hidapi-devel from MacPorts and it works fine for me on macOS 10.12
Sierra with the target being an ATmega328PB Xplained Mini board.

Rainer

[1] http://www.signal11.us/oss/hidapi/

As Nick Sayer wrote:

> So I ponied up for a year of the Apple dev program and asked Apple
> for the ability to sign kexts, which they graciously have
> allowed. And thus, voila, I’ve made a signed dummy kext for the
> AtmelICE.

Do you want me to put it into the AVRDUDE download area, too?

If so, please mail me a GPG-signed SHA256 of the file.  I'll
then GPG sign it (needed for Savannah), and upload it.
--
cheers, Joerg               .-.-.   --... ...--   -.. .  DL8DTL

http://www.sax.de/~joerg/