Programming ATtiny4 with avrdude

Ormund Williams
Hi Everyone,

I have a project that I think would work well with the ATtiny4 or 5 and
was about to order a programmer but checking the list of supported
programmers in avrdude 6.2 shows that the AtmelICE is supported in
these modes:
     atmelice         = Atmel-ICE (ARM/AVR) in JTAG mode
     atmelice_dw      = Atmel-ICE (ARM/AVR) in debugWIRE mode
     atmelice_isp     = Atmel-ICE (ARM/AVR) in ISP mode
     atmelice_pdi     = Atmel-ICE (ARM/AVR) in PDI mode

but no TSP mode, am I reading this correctly? can avrdude program the
ATtiny4 using the atmelice?

Regards.

--
Ormund

Re: Programming ATtiny4 with avrdude

Erik Christiansen-2
On 31.03.16 22:45, Ormund Williams wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I have a project that I think would work well with the ATtiny4 or 5 and
> was about to order a programmer but checking the list of supported
> programmers in avrdude 6.2 shows that the AtmelICE is supported in
> these modes:
>      atmelice         = Atmel-ICE (ARM/AVR) in JTAG mode
>      atmelice_dw      = Atmel-ICE (ARM/AVR) in debugWIRE mode
>      atmelice_isp     = Atmel-ICE (ARM/AVR) in ISP mode
>      atmelice_pdi     = Atmel-ICE (ARM/AVR) in PDI mode
>
> but no TSP mode, am I reading this correctly? can avrdude program the
> ATtiny4 using the atmelice?

Is it not the ISP mode that you are looking for? It is there in the
list.

Then, to check whether your target device is supported by avrdude, I'd
look in /etc/avrdude.conf . I'm still on avrdude 5.11.1, and it has both
of your choices towards the end of the file.

Erik

Ormund Williams <[hidden email]> wrote:

> but no TSP mode, am I reading this correctly?

Yes, so far, no TPI mode supported.

In principle, TPI ought to work:

http://www.atmel.com/webdoc/atmelice/atmelice.using_ocd_physical_tpi.html

No idea how much it would require to add it to AVRDUDE though.

--
cheers, Joerg               .-.-.   --... ...--   -.. .  DL8DTL

http://www.sax.de/~joerg/

On Sat, 2016-04-02 at 16:48 +0200, Joerg Wunsch wrote:

> Ormund Williams <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > but no TSP mode, am I reading this correctly?
> Yes, so far, no TPI mode supported.
>
> In principle, TPI ought to work:
>
> http://www.atmel.com/webdoc/atmelice/atmelice.using_ocd_physical_tpi.
> html
>
> No idea how much it would require to add it to AVRDUDE though.

I'm confused, avrdude doesn't support the TPI protocol? but the ATtiny4
is on the list of supported devices.

--
Ormund

Re: Programming ATtiny4 with avrdude

Rolf Pfister-2
Some times ago I got working the Attiny10 with programmer All-AVR
and using avrdude.
http://www.rolfp.ch/elektronik/#tiny10

There where some difficulties to solve. For instance patch the compiler
(I used avra), and in /lib/udev/rules.d/69-libmtp.rules commenting out
something to avoid a bug. (I'm not shure any more where the bug was,
maybe in avrdude or in some USB drivers?).
Maybe this could also work for Attiny4 and 5.

Rolf

Re: Programming ATtiny4 with avrdude

Ormund Williams <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm confused, avrdude doesn't support the TPI protocol?

It does, for other programmers, but so far not for JTAGICE3 /
Atmel-ICE.

It's possible adding these is only a few lines of code, to
hook it to an existing implementation, but it's also possible
it requires a full implementation for a new protocol.  I never
analyzed that so far.
--
cheers, Joerg               .-.-.   --... ...--   -.. .  DL8DTL

http://www.sax.de/~joerg/