New programmer support

Dmitriy Kanareykin
Hello Avrdude-dev,

Hi! I'm new to this list and tried searching the archive and did
not found the similar question.

Is it possible to add support of this Chinese parallel programmer?
https://world.taobao.com/item/37457413205.htm?fromSite=main&spm=a312a.7700824.w4024-9569747122.4.HGILav&scene=taobao_shop

(sold by shop https://mengzhenyao.world.taobao.com/ - added for the
possible future searches).

This is parallel high voltage (with onboard 5-12 converter) programmer
on atmega168 which uses proprietary Chinese software. The programmer
is identified by Windows as usbasp (uses the same driver library):

USB\VID_16C0&PID_05DC&REV_0100

but avrdude does not see it saying:

> avrdude.exe: error: could not find USB device with vid=0x16c0 pid=0x5dc vendor='www.fischl.de' product='USBasp'

The programmer itself seems to be good-built and has affordable price,
so it would be very nice to see its support in this great utility.

Thank you.

--
Best regards,
 Dmitriy                          mailto:[hidden email]

Re: New programmer support

Joerg Wunsch
As Dmitriy Kanareykin wrote:

> Hi! I'm new to this

Так привет, а добро пожалуйвать у нас!

> This is parallel high voltage (with onboard 5-12 converter) programmer
> on atmega168 which uses proprietary Chinese software. The programmer
> is identified by Windows as usbasp (uses the same driver library):
>
> USB\VID_16C0&PID_05DC&REV_0100
>
> but avrdude does not see it saying:
>
> > avrdude.exe: error: could not find USB device with vid=0x16c0 pid=0x5dc vendor='www.fischl.de' product='USBasp'

Are you sure it functions as a USBasp?

The only known high-voltage implementation in AVRDUDE so far
is STK500v2 (respectively STK600, which is similar in many
respects), so I would expect it to work that way.

Even if they use the USBasp VID:PID pair, they could implement
a virtual serial port on top of that.  You'd have to find out
which port name your OS assigned to it, and then try:

avrdude -c stk500v2 -P comNN: ...

--
cheers, Joerg               .-.-.   --... ...--   -.. .  DL8DTL

http://www.sax.de/~joerg/

Re: New programmer support

Dmitriy Kanareykin

JW> Так привет, а добро пожалуйвать у нас!

Привет! Спасибо! :)

JW> Are you sure it functions as a USBasp?

No, I think that it does not function as USBasp, it just uses its
VID:PID pair. When I plugged it in, Windows found it as "Yao P-Pro",
then, while searching for the driver automatically, it changed its
name to USBasp (I can only assume that it's because of the VID:PID
pair).

JW> Even if they use the USBasp VID:PID pair, they could implement
JW> a virtual serial port on top of that.  You'd have to find out
JW> which port name your OS assigned to it, and then try:

Unfortunately, they don't implement a virtual serial port. When
the device is plugged, it's shown under "libusb-win32 devices" item as
the normal USBasp is. There is no "Ports (COM & LPT)" entry at all.
And the programmer works with Chinese software, so it seems to be the
intended behaviour.

--
Best regards,
 Dmitriy                            mailto:[hidden email]

Re: New programmer support

René Liebscher
   could you just try usbasp-clone instead of usbasp as the latter
   requires the vendor string [1]fischl.de.
   Rene

   Am 05.04.2016, 12:48, Dmitriy Kanareykin <[hidden email]>
   schrieb:

     JW> Tak privet, a dobro pozhalujvat' u nas!
     Privet! Spasibo! :)
     JW> Are you sure it functions as a USBasp?
     No, I think that it does not function as USBasp, it just uses its
     VID:PID pair. When I plugged it in, Windows found it as "Yao P-Pro",
     then, while searching for the driver automatically, it changed its
     name to USBasp (I can only assume that it`s because of the VID:PID
     pair).
     JW> Even if they use the USBasp VID:PID pair, they could implement
     JW> a virtual serial port on top of that. You`d have to find out
     JW> which port name your OS assigned to it, and then try:
     Unfortunately, they don`t implement a virtual serial port. When
     the device is plugged, it`s shown under "libusb-win32 devices" item
     as
     the normal USBasp is. There is no "Ports (COM & LPT)" entry at all.
     And the programmer works with Chinese software, so it seems to be
     the
     intended behaviour.
     --
     Best regards,
     Dmitriy mailto:[hidden email]

Re: New programmer support

Joerg Wunsch
As Dmitriy Kanareykin wrote:

> And the programmer works with Chinese software, so it seems to be the
> intended behaviour.

OK, in that case, someone would really have to write a new
implementation for AVRDUDE.

Any chance to ask the Chinese guys for some documentation
about the protocol?  After all, they appear to be interested
in selling hardware rather than software, so an additional
tool being able to talk to their hardware would be a gain
for them.

Once the protocol is known, someone had to implement it …

As Rene Liebscher wrote:

>    could you just try usbasp-clone instead of usbasp as the latter
>    requires the vendor string [1]fischl.de.

Given that the programmer is a (high-voltage) parallel programmer,
I don't think it will work with plain Fischl USB protocol at all.

But OK, it might be worth an attempt.

--
cheers, Joerg               .-.-.   --... ...--   -.. .  DL8DTL

http://www.sax.de/~joerg/

Re: New programmer support

Dmitriy Kanareykin
Hello Joerg,

JW> Given that the programmer is a (high-voltage) parallel programmer,
JW> I don't think it will work with plain Fischl USB protocol at all.

Yes, according to the documentation (and software) it supports four
programming modes:

- PP20 (High voltage parallel programming with 20 wires/pins)
- PP18 (High voltage parallel programming with 18 wires/pins)
- HVSP
- ISP

At this moment I've only tested it in PP20 mode with mega8a and
mega32a, it takes about 3.5sec to read mega32 flash (32K).

The programmer itself is based on ATmega16 with 12MHz quartz.

JW> But OK, it might be worth an attempt.

Tried it, got the following:

avrdude.exe -c usbasp-clone -p m8 -v
avrdude.exe: auto set sck period (because given equals null)
avrdude.exe: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update.
avrdude.exe: error: program enable: target doesn't answer. e2
avrdude.exe: initialization failed, rc=-1
             Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
             this check.

JW> Any chance to ask the Chinese guys for some documentation
JW> about the protocol?  After all, they appear to be interested
JW> in selling hardware rather than software, so an additional
JW> tool being able to talk to their hardware would be a gain
JW> for them.

JW> Once the protocol is known, someone had to implement it …

I'll try contacting them regarding the protocol.