New chinese programmer's driver

Simone Briatore
Hello everyone,

I'm new in this mailing list.

2 weeks ago I bought this device
http://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id=36596969793 (the website is in
chinese), by zhifeng software, which is simply a usb to ISP device with
an additional reset pin that can be controlled via software. The
hardware is based upon an atmel microcontroller and few other
components, and i think is a modified version of the usbasp project
(http://www.fischl.de/usbasp/)

Since it is very cheap (~2.5$) and it works well (under windows with its
proprietary program), i want to write down a linux driver (since i use
linux).
Using reverse engineering methods i came up with a working (with some
minor bugs) libusb program that can send and receive data through the isp.
Now i would like to insert it in avrdude but i encountered some troubles:

     - I never used avrdude, since i couldn't with my programmer, so i
just red some tutorials about it
     - I could not find a documentation about implementing a new programmer

Is there some sort of standard way to implement a new programmer in
avrdude? A sort of API or similar? I searched a little around but i
didn't find anything...

or

Instead of adding an avrdude component you think is better to create a
real linux driver and make the device appear as a standard linux SPI
interface and then tell avrdude to access it? Like a /dev/<something>
device let's say...

Thank you very much
...and sorry if i did some mistakes but english is not my first language..

Simone Briatore

Re: New chinese programmer's driver

Joerg Wunsch
As Simone Briatore wrote:

> Is there some sort of standard way to implement a new programmer in
> avrdude? A sort of API or similar?

There's probably no real guide to it.  Remember that AVRDUDE merely
evolved into what it is, rather than having been designed ground up.
It started out as Brian Dean's little project to drive his
parallel-port attached programming dongle under FreeBSD.

Usually, one picks the closest programmer implementation that seems
appropriate, and then modifies it.

However, since you say it might be based on USBasp, you might consider
tweaking the USBasp implementation to accomodate for the clone device.

> Instead of adding an avrdude component you think is better to create
> a real linux driver and make the device appear as a standard linux
> SPI interface and then tell avrdude to access it?

I don't think that's worth the while.  First, it will only help Linux
users (leaving all other Unix users, including OSX, out), and then, I
guess you have to duplicate a lot of the higher-level code from
AVRDUDE.
--
cheers, Joerg               .-.-.   --... ...--   -.. .  DL8DTL

http://www.sax.de/~joerg/

Re: New chinese programmer's driver

René Liebscher
Hi Simone,

if it is really a clone of usbasp then the usbasp-clone programmer
introduced with avrdude 6 might work.

What is the output of lsusb? Are VID/PID the same as usbasp?

Kind regards

René Liebscher