Extended the butterfly programmer code

Joerg Wunsch
I've committed some modifications to the `butterfly' code that make
it become a full-featured programmer for AVR109-style boot loaders.
The butterfly appears to be somewhat like the predecessor of what
then became appnote AVR109.

I'm going to submit my GCC port of the AVR109 boot loader itself
to Atmel as well.
--
cheers, J"org               .-.-.   --... ...--   -.. .  DL8DTL

http://www.sax.de/~joerg/                        NIC: JW11-RIPE

Re: Extended the butterfly programmer code

E. Weddington
Joerg Wunsch wrote:

>I've committed some modifications to the `butterfly' code that make
>it become a full-featured programmer for AVR109-style boot loaders.
>The butterfly appears to be somewhat like the predecessor of what
>then became appnote AVR109.
>
>I'm going to submit my GCC port of the AVR109 boot loader itself
>to Atmel as well.

Thanks for doing this! :-)

Eric

As E. Weddington wrote:

> >I've committed some modifications to the `butterfly' code that make
> >it become a full-featured programmer for AVR109-style boot loaders.

> Thanks for doing this! :-)

You're welcome.  Actually, it wasn't all that hard, the main job had
already been done in the past by Martin Thomas with the butterfly code
itself.

This time, it's been one of those rare occasions where I've even been
able to do that as part of paid work.  We've been looking for a simple
bootloader to be used at Atmel Dresden, and AVR109 looked like it's
going to do everything we need.  Together with AVRDUDE, it also makes
the host side platform-independent.  (In theory, there's also AVROSP
from appnote AVR911, but the code there so far is only ready to go for
Win32.)

Joerg Wunsch wrote:

>Together with AVRDUDE, it also makes
>the host side platform-independent.

That's great!

>(In theory, there's also AVROSP
>from appnote AVR911, but the code there so far is only ready to go for
>Win32.)

I never fully understood Atmel's reasoning for creating AVROSP in the
first place. :-/ Any ideas?

Eric

As E. Weddington wrote:

> >(In theory, there's also AVROSP
> >from appnote AVR911, but the code there so far is only ready to go for
> >Win32.)

> I never fully understood Atmel's reasoning for creating AVROSP in
> the first place. :-/ Any ideas?

According to the docs, it's supposed to become a replacement for the
closed-source avrprog.exe.  So better don't complain, after all, it's
their first host-side tool they've released as source code!

--
cheers, J"org               .-.-.   --... ...--   -.. .  DL8DTL

http://www.sax.de/~joerg/                        NIC: JW11-RIPE

Re: Extended the butterfly programmer code

Brian Dean
On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 10:43:48PM +0200, Joerg Wunsch wrote:

> According to the docs, it's supposed to become a replacement for the
> closed-source avrprog.exe.  So better don't complain, after all,
> it's their first host-side tool they've released as source code!

That's cool.  But I'd really like to see some Mac OS X support from
their tools (and other embeddeed products vendors).  MacOS X is really
quite nice and with 1.2 million Macs sold last quarter, I wonder how
long it will take for companies to start to take notice that the world
is composed of more than just Windows computers.

I've been thinking about making an ARM board - are there any
non-Windows tools for flash downloading the AT91 ARM chips that are
non-Windows?  Or are we going to need to make ARMDUDE as well :-)

-Brian
--
Brian Dean
ATmega128 based MAVRIC controllers

Re: Extended the butterfly programmer code

Tymm
There is one tool i'm aware of, and have hacked a bit, for the
philips/analog devices ARM cores (i'm guessing it likely could be extended
to the AT91 series) but i'd like to see one that's written a bit more
modularly -- code's pretty hard to follow and work on... and it doesn't
have any concept of config files, etc...

http://guest.engelschall.com/~martin/lpc21xx/isp/

-Tymm

--

"Do not doubt that a small group of dedicated individuals can change
the world. Indeed, that is all that ever has." -- Margaret Mead

Brian Dean wrote:

>I've been thinking about making an ARM board - are there any
>non-Windows tools for flash downloading the AT91 ARM chips that are
>non-Windows?  Or are we going to need to make ARMDUDE as well :-)

You might also ask around on Atmel's ARM forums:
www.at91.com

Eric