Avrdude is not detecting atmega32a

Ratan Market
Hi!

I am new in AVR world. I wrote a program in AVR Studio 7 for Atmega32a
chip. The hex file that is generated, i tried to burn in atmega32a chip
using usbasp programmer, manufactured by roboindia and avrdude as external
tool in AVR Studio 7. The problem is avrdude is not detecting the atmega32a
chip. So, I cannot connect with the circuit. I tried a lot and searched the
internet but there I hadn't find any solution. Please help me out.

Thanks,

Ratan

Re: Avrdude is not detecting atmega32a

Raymond Moore
This is going to be a usbasp issue most likely.  Have you updated the
firmware on the programmer and tried lowering the communications speed?
Most usbasp devices allow you to slow down the clock speed on the programmer
side.  Also, make sure you have power and proper clock signal on the
atmega32a chip.  If it is new then it will be programmed for 1MHz internal
RC oscillator.  If it is not new then it might be programmed for any of a
number of different clock options which might require going HVPP to reset
it.  Note, the usbasp cannot do HVPP.

Re: Avrdude is not detecting atmega32a

Dmitriy Kanareykin
Hello Ray,

Most probably this really is the programming speed issue. When I was new
to AVR and saw ATMEGA32A for the first time, I'd spent about an hour
thinking that all my MEGAs were faulty. Finally I lowered the speed and
everything became OK. You need to set programming speed to at most 1/4
of the clock speed (if I remember correctly), so for the default clock
speed of 1MHz, programming speed must be 250KHz or lower. I'd
recommend 100KHz for the start, then you can try increasing it or
adjusting MCU's fuses for a higher internal clock speed. So, try:

avrdude.exe -c usbasp -p m32 -B100kHz -v

Tuesday, May 23, 2017, 5:53:01 PM, you wrote:

RM> This is going to be a usbasp issue most likely.  Have you updated the
RM> firmware on the programmer and tried lowering the communications speed?
RM> Most usbasp devices allow you to slow down the clock speed on the programmer
RM> side.  Also, make sure you have power and proper clock signal on the
RM> atmega32a chip.  If it is new then it will be programmed for 1MHz internal
RM> RC oscillator.  If it is not new then it might be programmed for any of a
RM> number of different clock options which might require going HVPP to reset
RM> it.  Note, the usbasp cannot do HVPP.

Best regards,
 Dmitriy                            mailto:[hidden email]