AVRDude OSX High Sierra

Bittrace14
(hope this is the correct place to post this, apologies if not)
I am trying to use AVRDude on OSX High Sierra 10.31.2 (17C88) with an AtmelICE.
I have downloaded the latest, signed kext from (http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/avrdude/AtmelICE-kext-for-High-Sierra.zip) and done the following:
Unzipped the ZIP, copied the kext to /Library/Extensions.
sudo kextload /Library/Extensions/AtmelICE.kext
Under "Security & Privacy”I have allowed “Nicholas Sayer”
Re-executed sudo kextload /Library/Extensions/AtmelICE.kext
I get this:

/Library/Extensions/AtmelICE.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) authentication failure (file ownership/permissions); check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).

I have tried various things like sudo chown -R root:wheel /Library/Extensions/AtmelICE.kext and sudo kextcache -system-caches
all to no effect.

When I try sudo kextutil /Library/Extensions/AtmelICE.kext,
I get this:
Kext rejected due to improper filesystem permissions: <OSKext 0x7fb5b6285a20 [0x7fff8be08980]> { URL = "file:///Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Extensions/AtmelICE.kext/", ID = "com.kfu.AtmelICE" }
Diagnostics for /Library/Extensions/AtmelICE.kext:
Authentication Failures:
    File owner/permissions are incorrect (must be root:wheel, nonwritable by group/other):
        /Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Extensions/AtmelICE.kext
        Contents
        _CodeSignature
        CodeResources
        CodeDirectory
        CodeRequirements-1
        CodeSignature
        CodeRequirements
        Info.plist

Warnings:
    Personality CFBundleIdentifier differs from containing kext's (not necessarily a mistake, but rarely done):
        AtmelICE
    Kext has no executable or compatible version, so it should not declare any OSBundleLibraries.

When I check the permissions of the AtmelICE.kext, I see that they appear identical to those of other kexts that load fine.
Anyone got any suggestions?
Br,
Philip

Re: AVRDude OSX High Sierra

Bittrace14

Managed to get it working. I used kext Wizard to install it (http://wizards.osxlatitude.com/kext/kw.zip). Kext Wizard installed it into /System/Library/Extensions and there it works fine. If I move the installed kext back into /Library/Extensions it no longer works, move it back to /System/Library/Extensions, it’s fine.

> On 24. Dec 2017, at 23:33, Bittrace14 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> (hope this is the correct place to post this, apologies if not)
> I am trying to use AVRDude on OSX High Sierra 10.31.2 (17C88) with an AtmelICE.
> I have downloaded the latest, signed kext from (http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/avrdude/AtmelICE-kext-for-High-Sierra.zip) and done the following:
> Unzipped the ZIP, copied the kext to /Library/Extensions.
> sudo kextload /Library/Extensions/AtmelICE.kext
> Under "Security & Privacy”I have allowed “Nicholas Sayer”
> Re-executed sudo kextload /Library/Extensions/AtmelICE.kext
> I get this:
>
> /Library/Extensions/AtmelICE.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) authentication failure (file ownership/permissions); check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).
>
> I have tried various things like sudo chown -R root:wheel /Library/Extensions/AtmelICE.kext and sudo kextcache -system-caches
> all to no effect.
>
> When I try sudo kextutil /Library/Extensions/AtmelICE.kext,
> I get this:
> Kext rejected due to improper filesystem permissions: <OSKext 0x7fb5b6285a20 [0x7fff8be08980]> { URL = "file:///Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Extensions/AtmelICE.kext/", ID = "com.kfu.AtmelICE" }
> Diagnostics for /Library/Extensions/AtmelICE.kext:
> Authentication Failures:
>    File owner/permissions are incorrect (must be root:wheel, nonwritable by group/other):
>        /Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Extensions/AtmelICE.kext
>        Contents
>        _CodeSignature
>        CodeResources
>        CodeDirectory
>        CodeRequirements-1
>        CodeSignature
>        CodeRequirements
>        Info.plist
>
> Warnings:
>    Personality CFBundleIdentifier differs from containing kext's (not necessarily a mistake, but rarely done):
>        AtmelICE
>    Kext has no executable or compatible version, so it should not declare any OSBundleLibraries.
>
> When I check the permissions of the AtmelICE.kext, I see that they appear identical to those of other kexts that load fine.
> Anyone got any suggestions?
> Br,
> Philip

Re: AVRDude OSX High Sierra

Bittrace14
There is one additional problem with this under High Sierra, and it’s a biggie. The kext blocks avarice from connecting as hidapi cannot enumerate the device. This can also be seen running hidtest which is part of hidapi. Uninstalling the kext seems to need a reboot, and then avrdude no longer works, but avarice does.
I am not skilled enough in things around hidapi to figure out a solution, but can anyone give me a hint as to if it is even possible to solve?
Br,
Philip