ATtiny416, and UPDI devices in general...

ATtiny416, and UPDI devices in general...

Bill Westfield
Is it intentional or accidental that pages writes to the flash space of the
new UPDI chips (the Attiny416 in particular) using STK500v1 (actually
"Arduino") are using byte addresses for the flash memory, rather than word
addresses as with most prior AVRs that use STK500v1-like protocols?

I'm re-writing Optiboot (the Arduino bootloader) for these chips, and can
write the bootloader either way. but I'm concerned about the possibility of
future chips with more than 64k (but less than 128k) of Flash.
It's not clear from the datasheet whether you can write the flash byte-wise
or not.

(How do you even control this in the avrdude.conf file?  Can you change the
addressability of the flash for one protocol without bothering others (the
existing xplainedmini_updi programmer works fine with the ATtin416 Xplained
Nano I'm using.)

Thanks
Bill W

Re: ATtiny416, and UPDI devices in general...

Joerg Wunsch
As Bill Westfield wrote:

> Is it intentional or accidental that pages writes to the flash space of the
> new UPDI chips (the Attiny416 in particular) using STK500v1 (actually
> "Arduino") are using byte addresses for the flash memory, rather than word
> addresses as with most prior AVRs that use STK500v1-like protocols?

I was hoping the author(s) of the UPDI code would respond ...

All I can say about this: the UPDI implementation came straight from
Microchip Norway (i.e. the former Atmel guys who developed the AVR),
so you might take whatever is implemented there as quite authoritative.

--
cheers, Joerg               .-.-.   --... ...--   -.. .  DL8DTL

http://www.sax.de/~joerg/